Classroom Updates: January 8th – January 12th
- Mrs. Johnson met with the first grade to talk to us about her upcoming retirement.
- The whole first grade listened to a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. read aloud.
- We wrote why we think certain words from the book about Martin Luther King Jr., Martin’s Big Words, are powerful.
- We are learning about the features of a personal narrative and have read and listened to some examples of personal narrative writing.
- In math we are learning about related equations and fact families.
- In art class we painted clay pumpkins.
- We played floor hockey in p.e. class.
- We learned a song from Denmark called Seven Jumps in music class.
Classroom Updates: January 2nd – January 3rd
- We are learning about glued sounds in Fundations and we are working on spelling and writing words that have the following glued sounds: /ang/, /ank/, /ing/, /ink/, /ong/, /onk/, /ung/ and /unk/
- We wrote about a special memory from the month of December.
- We also wrote New Year’s resolutions for 2018.
- In math we are learning about subtraction. One of the strategies we are using to help us subtract is counting back on a number line.
Classroom Updates: December 18th – December 22nd
- Our families came to watch us perform in the Peppermint Parade!
- We finished topic 3 in math and we took our math test on solving problems by adding to 20.
- Ms. Scheffer showed us how to upload pictures and drawings onto the Seesaw app.
- We wrote about holidays we celebrate and who we celebrate those holidays with.
- We made holiday cards and gifts for our parents.
- In science we created models of a plant. We had to label the parts on our models and explain what the function of each part was.
Classroom Updates: December 11th – December 15th
- In math we worked on doubles-plus-two facts and we also made 10 to help us add numbers to 20.
- We made our headbands for the Peppermint Parade.
- We read a book about different winter holidays around the world.
- We had two practices for the Peppermint Parade.
- In p.e. class we had to knock the snowman down by getting around the blockers.
- In art class we made pumpkins with paint.
- We practiced our Peppermint Parade songs in music class.
- The fourth and fifth graders performed in the winter concert and we watched them perform during a whole school assembly.
- Ms. Scheffer taught us how to use Seesaw and we uploaded our tree books to Seesaw.
- We got to shop for holiday gifts at the school’s holiday shoppe.
Classroom Updates: December 4th – December 8th
- We had a practice for the Peppermint Parade. It was our first opportunity to practice saying our poems on the stage and our first time using a microphone.
- We finished our tree books. We made the book on an app called Book Creator.
- We are learning about the “s” suffix in Fundations. We have been making words with an “s” suffix.
- In math we started topic 3. We practiced our double facts and double-plus-one facts this week.
- We made invitations for our families for the Peppermint Parade.
- All of the first graders came together to work on a fun Friday project. We listened to The Gingerbread Man story and we made gingerbread glyphs.
- In music we practiced our songs for the Peppermint Parade.
- In p.e. we did jump rope and we practiced tying our shoes.
- We are still working on our bad hair day pictures in art.
Classroom Updates: November 27th – December 1st
- In math we finished topic 2 and took our test on adding and subtracting. We are starting topic 3 which will teach us about addition facts to 20.
- We wrote about our special memories for November.
- We had our first rehearsal for the Peppermint Parade. We practiced getting on and off the stage and we practiced singing our songs.
- Ms. Scheffer helped show us how to make a book on the Book Creator app. We are making a book about our tree walk and the different types of trees, seeds and leaves that we saw on our walk.
- We made our final observations of the roots we were growing in our science experiment. We learned that roots hold a plant in the ground and that they absorb the water from the ground.
- In p.e. class we practiced jump roping.
- In music we are learning a song with sign language for our Peppermint Parade performance.
Classroom Updates: November 20th – November 22nd
- In p.e. we had to throw balls to knock the buckets down on the other team. Whichever team had the most buckets standing at the end won.
- In music we practiced our songs for the Peppermint Parade.
- We thought about things we wished for and we wrote about our wishes.
- We observed the roots that are growing on our plants. We sketched the roots and wrote about our observations in our science journal.
- We made leaf wreaths and on each leaf we wrote about something that we are thankful for.
- We got our poems for the Peppermint Parade.
Classroom Updates: November 13th – November 17th
- We planted sunflower seeds. We are going to observe the roots and learn about the function of the roots.
- In math we learned how to count back on a number line to subtract. We also learned that it doesn’t matter what order the addends are in when you write an equation. For example, 3 + 2 is the same as 2 + 3.
- We observed and sketched real examples of maple, oak and pine leaves and maple, oak and pine seeds. We talked about whether or not seeds and leaves have parts.
- In Fundations we are learning about the /am/ and /an/ glued sounds.
- In p.e. class we practiced single jump rope and double jump rope.
- We made pumpkins in art class if we were finished with our bad hair day paintings.
- We learned our third song for the Peppermint Parade in music class.
Classroom Updates: November 6th – November 8th
- In music class we learned two songs for the Peppermint Parade.
- We read a book about Veterans and we wrote letters to Veterans.
- We read a couple of different versions of Jack and the Beanstalk and we went on our field trip to see a performance called Jack and the Giant.
- In p.e. class we did jump rope.
- We had a community circle with Mrs. Johnson to talk about problems we are having in our grade level and how we can go about fixing those problems.
- In math we reviewed double facts and we talked about how knowing our doubles facts by heart will help us solve near doubles facts. For example, if we know 5 + 5 = 10 then we know 5 + 6 = 11. 5 + 6 is a near doubles fact.
Classroom Updates: October 30th – November 3rd
- We learned our first song for the Peppermint Parade in music class today.
- In science we talked about parts of plants and their functions. This week we talked about stems and we did a celery experiment to learn about the function of a stem.
- We recorded our observations from our science experiment in our science journals.
- We wrote about our special memories from the month of October.
- In p.e. class we played Hula Hut. You had to build a hut made out of hula hoops. The blockers block the hula huts and the throwers throw balls at the hula hut to try to knock it down. The retrievers get the balls to give the balls to the throwers.
- In art class we finished our bad hair day pictures and our all about me pictures.
- In math we started topic 2. We are learning how to count on to add and we are practicing doubles facts.
Classroom Updates: October 23rd – October 27th
- In science we got to observe plants with magnifying glasses. We recorded our observations in our science journals. In our new science topic we will be learning about parts of plants and the functions of those parts.
- In math we finished topic 1. We solved word problems using addition and subtraction.
- In Fundations we practiced spelling words with digraphs and words with bonus letters.
- In writing we made posters about the four seasons.
- The learning Commons hosted Global Maker Day. The theme was creating kindness. We made a video about what kindness means.
- Our homeroom earned our first whole class reward this week. We made a list of ideas for rewards that our whole class could enjoy. Some of our ideas were pajama day, iPad free choice time, extra recess, bring a stuffed animal to school and watch a movie. The class voted to watch a movie. On Friday we watched a movie that featured 3 different books about the different seasons. The 3 stories we saw were: Bear Snores On, Waiting for Wings and Come on, Rain!
- In music we did a do, re, mi warm up and then we learned a dinosaur fossil song.
- In p.e. class we did stations to practice different games we’ve learned.
- In art class we worked on our bad hair day pictures.
- We had crazy hair day on Friday.
Classroom Updates: October 16th – October 20th
- We learned about the four seasons this week.
- We chose a season to write about and made posters that listed reasons why the season we picked is the best season.
- In Fundations we finished our unit about digraphs and we are beginning to learn about bonus letters. When a short vowel word ends in an f, l, or s (and sometimes z) we add a second f, l, s or z to the end of the word. Some examples are: hill, well, miss, toss, off, and puff.
- In math we are learning how to add and subtract to solve problems. We are also learning words we can use to compare amounts such as more and fewer.
- Officer Schipelliti came to our school to talk to us about bus safety. We practiced exiting a bus through the back emergency door.
- We went to the Fox Hill Book Fair this week with our reading classes.
- In p.e. class we played scooter soccer.
- In art class we made bad hair day pictures using the different lines we learned about and then we colored them.
Classroom Updates: October 9th – October 13th
- We are starting to learn about the four seasons in science.
- In math we finished topic 15 and are starting topic one. In topic one we are learning how to solve addition and subtraction problems.
- In Fundations we are working on reading and spelling words that have digraphs. Sh, wh, ck, th and ch are the digraphs we are learning.
- In reading classes we are learning how to do literacy centers and we are getting ready to start meeting with our teachers for guided reading lessons.
- Mrs. Johnson met with the first graders this week. We had a community circle discussion to talk about how we can be kind, respectful, responsible and safe members of our community.
- In music class Mrs. Medico read us a pumpkin book. We practiced sounds that we heard in the book.
- In p.e. Class we learned how to use the hula hoops. We spun them on our arms, legs and waist.
- In art class we learned how to make different kinds of lines. We made zigzags, wavy lines, curved lines and straight lines.
Classroom Updates: October 2nd – October 6th
- Mr. Musselman visited all of the first grade classrooms to teach us about our shadows and the patterns in the sky related to the position of the sun at certain times of the day.
- We are learning about persuasive writing and we have listened to persuasive read alouds including: I Wanna Iguana, The Day the Crayons Quit, and Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
- In math we are learning about equal shares, halves and fourths.
- In Fundations we are learning about digraphs. Digraphs are two consonants together that make one sound, such as: ch, sh, ck, wh, and th.
- We worked on a fun Friday project. We watched a BrainPOP Jr. video about Christopher Columbus. For our project we made Christopher Columbus sailing on his ship.
- In music class we sang Five Little Pumpkins.
- We played Monkey in the Middle in p.e. Class.
Classroom Updates: September 25th – September 29th
- We wrote about a special memory from the month of September.
- In Fundations we continued to learn about how we can tap to read and tap to spell CVC words.
- We took our topic 14 test in math on 2-D and 3-D shapes.
- In music we practiced a song called Five Little Pumpkins.
- In p.e. we were learning about playground safety.
- In art class we made self portraits.
- We are working on building our stamina with independent reading in our reading classes.
Classroom Updates: September 18th – September 22nd
- In p.e. class we played Monkey in the Middle.
- In art class we made pictures of something that represented us, something that we liked.
- We met our reading teachers and reading classmates this week.
- We wrote about what we want to be when we grow up.
- We learned about 2-D and 3-D shapes in math.
- In math we used our iPads to take our Symphony math tests.
- In Fundations we are learning how to read and spell CVC words.
Classroom Updates: September 11th – September 15th
- Mr. Murphy helped us setup our iPads in the Learning Commons.
- We read lots of books this week. Some of the books we read were: Jack’s Talent, Wemberly Worried, Chrysanthemum, Same, Same but Different, Only One You, and David Goes to School.
- We wrote letters to our parents for Back to School Night.
- We took our iReady reading assessment on computers.
- In math we are learning about shapes and their attributes.
- Mrs. Johnson had an assembly with grades K-2 about belonging at Fox Hill School.
- We started ST math with Jiji the penguin. We play ST on our iPads.
Classroom Updates: September 5th – September 8th
- We met all of our new classmates this week and we are learning about one another.
- We had our first music class, art class and p.e. class this week.
- We explored math tools like the snap cubes and pattern blocks.
- We had our first fun Friday. We read The Crayon Box That Talked and then we made a crayon project.
- We wrote about our hopes and dreams for first grade.
- We talked about our classroom and school rules. We have four classroom and school rules. They are: be kind, be safe, be respectful and be responsible.
- We read lots of books this week. Some of the books we read were: First Day Jitters, Miss Nelson is Missing, Miss Nelson is Back, One, How Full is Your Bucket, The Recess Queen, I Like Myself and This Will Be the Best School Year Ever.
- We had our first community circle with Mrs. Johnson to talk about how we can “be the one” in our school.